Limestone Springs Historic District
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Limestone Springs Historic District features the campus and environs of Limestone College and is located on the southwestern edge of Gaffney. The springs brought the construction of the original Limestone Springs Hotel in 1835, a health resort touted by locals as "The Saratoga of the South." One of the many such spas in the Upcountry, the Limestone Springs Hotel became the summer home for low-country residents seeking to escape the coastal summer heat.
The Limestone Springs Historic District is well laid out for pleasant college living. The nine campus buildings on the National Register of Historic Places all border and face the central and circular front drives, making each easily accessible to the others. The classic angled walkways connect the buildings, and a fountain with a circular walkway graces the area in front of the Curtis Administration Building. Large, old trees, including both evergreens and deciduous, provide ample shade for sections of the front quad area. The historic district also lists the limestone quarry, now a 12-acre lake over 300' deep, with banks that are steep limestone rock outcroppings covered with kudzu in the summer months. A one-mile walking path circles the lake.
Hopper, C. G., Jr., and Bobby G. Moss. Toward the Light. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1998.
Limestone Springs Historic District [including Limestone College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1986.
McMillan, Montague, A History of Limestone College, 1845-1970. Columbia, SC: R. L. Bryan Company, 1970.
Taylor, Walter Carroll. History of Limestone College. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1937.