| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Cooper Hall was constructed as the Limestone Springs Hotel. It has been modified several times over the years, usually serving as a residence hall. Today, it serves as a multi-purpose office building. It is named in honor of school benefactor Peter Cooper of New York's Cooper Union.
It is a four story, brick building that is the oldest building on the campus. Originally the building faced south, but around 1897 the north elevation became the main facade. The porch on the south elevation shown in an 1846 engraving has been removed, as has the porch added to the north elevation around 1897. The building was originally rectangular in form, but the addition of the Curtis Administration Building and the Dixie Lodge Building now give the appearance of a "T" plan.
Hopper, C. G., Jr., and Bobby G. Moss. Toward the Light. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1998.
Limestone Springs Historic District [including Limestone College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1986.
McMillan, Montague, A History of Limestone College, 1845-1970. Columbia, SC: R. L. Bryan Company, 1970.
Taylor, Walter Carroll. History of Limestone College. Gaffney, SC: Limestone College, 1937.