Dorothy Speer Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Speer Chapel is in excellent condition and continues to be a link to the past, both as the army chapel until 1946 and as the university chapel until 1965. The 1982 renovation, completed with funds from Dorothy Speer, preserved the chapel as a memorial to the 23,405 active-duty servicemen treated at the hospital and to the hospital staff members who served here. A Texas historical marker was dedicated on April 27, 1999 safeguarding the building as a historical treasure. The chapel served Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish servicemen and hospital employees' families during the Second World War. The chapel was also a site for weddings of staff and servicemen and women.
Each August, the university faculty and staff gather in the chapel for the president's state of the university address. It is also the site for university weddings, group meetings, and dramatic and musical presentations.
Durham, Kenneth R. Jr. "Harmon General Hospital." East Texas Historical Journal 38, no. 1 (2000): 25-42.
Durham, Kenneth R. Jr. LeTourneau University's First 50 years. Virginia Beach, VA: Donning Company, 1995.