Wriston Art Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Wriston Art Center, located on the Lawrence Green, was completed in 1989. It is named for the 10th Lawrence president, Henry M. Wriston. The building is architecturally innovative, built in a postmodern renaissance revival style by Jefferson B. Riley, a Lawrence graduate. It makes use of ceramic block and glass and is in significant contrast to the other, more traditional buildings on campus. The entrance to the south houses an amphitheater, with all seats facing the southern exposure of the building. Wriston contains studios, classrooms, galleries, an auditorium, and houses all art programs on campus.
Breunig, Charles. "A Great and Good Work": A History of Lawrence University, 1847-1964. Appleton, WI: Lawrence University Press, 1994.
Dober, Richard P. Campus Architecture: Building in the Groves of Academe. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., 1996.
Nesmith, Lynn. "For Art's Sake: At the Crossroads of a University in Wisconsin, a Small Art Center Plays a Large Role in Campus Life." Architecture 79 (January 1990): 84-89.
Selected photographs. 1987-1989. Lawrence University Art Center, Lawrence University, Appleton, WI.