Campus Green and surrounding buildings
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Campus Green was built around Main Hall and is surrounded by a necklace of eclectic buildings. It is the primary organizing and symbolic space of the campus and, in combination with Main Hall, the university's most memorable icon. The area joins these buildings with many paths and walkways. It houses a variety of trees with vast green spaces, one of which is used for graduation ceremonies. The composition of the green will continue to be respected with any additions measured in the way they reinforce or enhance that position. In the past, the green has been the site of political rallies, a parade ground and an area for study and contemplation. It is used now as the site of the spring Celebrate festival and the fall Octoberfest celebration, for graduation exercises, an ice skating rink in winter and again for political rallies, relaxation, and contemplation.
Breunig, Charles. "A Great and Good Work": A History of Lawrence University, 1847-1964. Appleton, WI: Lawrence University Press, 1994.
Sasaki Associates Inc. Lawrence University--Update of Strategic Options. [Watertown, MA: Sasaki Associates, Inc.], 2000.
Schumann, Marguerite E. Creation of a Campus: A Chronicle of Lawrence College Buildings and the Men Who Made Them. Appleton, WI: Lawrence University Press, 1957.