Cleveland-Young International Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The domestic-scaled and styled building from the Estate era was designed by Stanley Anderson (Lake Forest '16), who also studied at the University of Illinois Architecture School and at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. When he designed this building he had recently left his position as an associate of architect Howard Van Doren Shaw (1869-1926), and this building closely resembles Shaw's 1924 Hinckley House in Lake Forest, for which Anderson was the lead architect. The building was constructed at the height of the vogue for English Cotswold cottages on Chicago's North Shore. In this case it harmonized with the two Frost & Granger English-traditional buildings nearby, the 1899 Alice Home Hospital and Lois Durand Hall. Shaw also designed similar residence halls at the University of Chicago and at Oberlin College.
Coventry, Kim, Daniel Meyer, and Arthur H. Miller. Classic Country Estates of Lake Forest: Architecture and Landscape Architecture, 1856-1940. New York: W. W. Norton, 2003.
Lake Forest Historic District [including Lake Forest College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1978.
Miller, Arthur H., and Shirley M. Paddock. Lake Forest: People, Estates, and Culture. Chicago: Arcadia Press, 2000.
Schulze, Franz, Rosemary Cowler, and Arthur H. Miller. 30 Miles North: A History of Lake Forest College, Its Town and Its City of Chicago. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000.