Morley Memorial Music Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Morley Music Hall was designed by Abram Garfield and built in 1927 as the center for music activities at Lake Erie College. The building is two stories of classic Greek design in Bedford limestone. It has Corinthian pillars at the main entrance and wreaths of bas relief around the top commemorating the names of great musicians. An auditorium on the second floor seats 1,000 with a stage having a fan-shaped ceiling and seating for a chorus of 90. Originally, practice rooms, department offices, and a music library were located in the lower level.
The auditorium is still used today for inside commencement ceremonies, musical concerts, convocations, weddings, and performances by outside groups (such as the local Messiah Chorus) as well groups from the college. The music library, several practice rooms, and a faculty studio are also located on the main floor. The basement now houses the offices of the Lake County Economic Development Center, which leases space from the college.