George Davis Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Davis Hall was the last of Knox's great Gothic revival buildings. Its brick and stone exterior mirror those of neighboring Old Main, even as its dissimilar north and south facades exhibit subtle permutations of the academic Gothic style that had evolved during the fifty years that separate the buildings. The construction of Davis Hall in the early 20th century marked the recognition and incorporation of the natural and physical sciences into Knox College's traditionally literary and theological curriculum. Each floor was designed to house a separate scientific discipline.
Davis Hall was extensively renovated in 1981; it has housed the college's social science and modern language departments since then.
Knox College. Memorials in American Colleges. Galesburg, IL: Knox College, [1930?].