Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Mary Johnson Lane House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Lane College
Original/Historic Place Name: President's Home
Location on Campus: 566 Lane Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1924original construction
1994renovation
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular, Other (Glossary)
Significance: culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: cement
Walls: brick
Roof: asphalt
 
Function:
1924-1999president's house
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (receptions; guest house)
 

Narrative:
The Mary Johnson Lane House, in continuous service as a residence for the president of the college until late 1999, was renovated in 1994. It was named in memory of Mrs. Mary Johnson Lane, the wife of Dr. James Franklin Lane, for her untiring service to the college as registrar, secretary, and library staff member.
 

References:

Murphy, Kimberley A., and Thomason, Philip. Lane College Historic District [Boundary Increase]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006