| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Hamlet Hall was built on the site of Boys Hall, built in 1914. Boys Hall was designed by Moses McKissack of Nashville (Tennessee's first Negro architect) and built by William Burrows of Memphis, son-in-law of Bishop Isaac Lane, the college's founder. The three-story structure contained modern conveniences such as showers and tubs with hot and cold water, furnace heat, and electric lights. Destroyed by fire in 1966, it was rebuilt in 1970. The new building was six stories and designed by McKissack & McKissack of Nashville. It was named Hamlett Hall in honor of Bishop J. Arthur Hamlett.
Originally, students lived by a strict moral code which prohibited the use of alcohol and tobacco. The school also adopted a dress code for women. Church attendance was required, as were mid-week prayer meeting (from National Register report, "Lane College Historic District" ).
Campus Master Plan. 1991. Lane College, Jackson, TN.
Campus Plan. 1968. Lane College, Jackson, TN.
Cooke, Anna L. Lane College: Its Heritage and Outreach, 1882-1982. Jackson, TN: Lane College, 1987.
Facilities Master Plan Update. Jackson, TN: Lane College, 2001.
Murphy, Kimberley A., and Thomason, Philip. Lane College Historic District [Boundary Increase]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
Thomason, Philip. Lane College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1987.