T. F. Saunders Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Saunders Hall has been in continuous operation since its construction. It is named for Rev. Thomas F. Saunders, the first president of Lane College. The following is from the National Register Report, "Lane College Historic District" (1987):
The second building constructed in the school's building program was Saunders Hall, completed in 1908. The three story brick building originally served as a women's dormitory and contained a kitchen and dining room on the first floor. Less decorative than Bray Hall, Saunders Hall is a restrained example of the Neo-Classical style, with a prominent pediment at the roofline over an extended bay containing the main entrance. The first floor of the building is executed in glazed yellow brick with a terra cotta belt course dividing the first and second floors. The main entrance is composed of modern glass and metal double doors with an original two-light frame transom.
On the upper two floors the brick is unglazed with the exception of corner brick quoining designed in a glazed yellow brick pattern. Windows on all three stories are original frame six-over-six sash. At the roofline is a belt course of glazed yellow brick and a simple sheet metal cornice. The hipped roof retains its original surface of pressed metal shingles and finials at the ridgeline. The rear (north) facade has an original two-story wing and ca. 1950 one-story brick addition. Windows on this facade are arched six-over-six frame sash. The interior of the building displays an original layout, although there have been numerous renovations of dorm rooms over the years. Some ceilings have been lowered, and new lighting fixtures have been installed; but other original details remain.
Campus Master Plan. 1991. Lane College, Jackson, TN.
Campus Plan. 1968. Lane College, Jackson, TN.
Cooke, Anna L. Lane College: Its Heritage and Outreach, 1882-1982. Jackson, TN: Lane College, 1987.
Facilities Master Plan Update. [Jackson, TN: Lane College], 2001.
Murphy, Kimberley A., and Thomason, Philip. Lane College Historic District [Boundary Increase]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
Thomason, Philip. Lane College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1987.