| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Smith Hall, the oldest building on the LaGrange College campus, is on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the oldest private college buildings in Georgia. The main portion of the building was constructed in 1842 of handmade brick formed from native clay. An addition was built in 1887, and a major renovation was completed in 1989 at a cost of $2.5 million. The building is named in memory of Mrs. Oreon Smith, wife of a former president of the College, Rufus W. Smith, who served from 1885 until his death in 1915. Mrs. Smith died in 1907.
Smith's four columns have been known to students through the years as "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John." The original window panes from the parlor facing the porch are of hand-poured glass.
2002-2003 Undergraduate Bulletin. [LaGrange, GA: LaGrange College, 2002].
LaGrange College Alumnae Club. Continuing Educated Taste. LaGrange, GA: LaGrange College, [n.d.].
Thomas, Kenneth H., Jr. College Home/Smith Hall [LaGrange College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, (1982).