Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Ball Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Keuka College
Original/Historic Place Name: Ball Hall
Location on Campus: 141 Central Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1890original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Colonial revival (Glossary)
Significance: education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: slate shingle
 
Function:
ca. 1890-present (2006)residence hall
ca. 1890-present (2006)administration
 

Narrative:
Ball Hall, the first and original building on campus, represents the dual ideas of women's rights and religion that were emerging at the end of the 19th century. The building carries the name of Reverend Dr. George Harvey Ball, founder and first president of the college. The original use remains the same today: it is home to various administration offices and also serves as a residence hall. Much of the building has been left intact, other than the two stair towers added in the 1960s. It represents Keuka College; it is a landmark on Keuka Lake; and it remains the most popular dorm on campus. It is naturally the favorite of alumni.

The building has suffered, however, due to deferred maintenance, and it has recently been in need of new HVAC, furnishing, and roof work. Currently the college has embarked on a three-year, $10 million campaign to renovate the 115-year-old edifice. It is being considered for listing on the National Historic Landmark Register.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006