| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Construction on Bristol Hall began in 1917 and was completed in 1919 and was funded by E. W. King, a relative of the founder of King College, James D. King. Bristol was the first building on the new site donated by James King, and its completion inaugurated the college's move to its new site from the original location in downtown Bristol, where it had been since 1867. Bristol was last remodeled in 1968 to convert it from its original use as a dormitory to its present use as an office building.
The building is envisioned as a "Welcome Center" and Admissions/Recruiting Office. Possible renovations that would enhance the building's functioning in this capacity include the addition of some architectural latitude to provide more visibility, changing the style of some windows, and opening up the interior so the campus would be very visible from either side of the building. There would also be enough glass to allow one to stand on the Oval and see through the building to the Athletic fields. It could be a place for a "virtual tour" of the entire campus without leaving the building.
Landscape Master Plan. Narrative and drawings. King College, Bristol, TN.
Selected items from Collection of Master Plans. 1917, 1931, 1952 and 1968. King College Archives, King College, Bristol, TN.
Thompson & Litton Architects. Master Plan [King College]. Narrative and drawings. [Wise, VA: Thompson & Litton Architects], October 1998 and 1999.