A. Howard Bean Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Howard Bean Hall is a two story neoclassical building with a low hip roof and low octagonal dome containing a skylight, a three bay facade with central full height pedimented portico with two pairs of Ionic columns, a central double-leaf entrance with decorative transom, triple windows with transom set in classical surround, and decorative brick work along the cornice. It is presently being restored.
Howard Bean hall was erected in 1908 and was originally known as the Carnegie Building. It is built of pressed brick with furnishings and woodwork all done in old mission finish and cost $30,000 at the time of its completion. It served as the college library until 1962, when it was converted to classroom use. In 1991, the building was renamed A. Howard Bean Hall. After renovation and furnishing the structure will house the Alabama Women's Hall of Fame.
Harris, W. Stuart. Perry County Heritage, 2 vols. Marion, AL: Friends of Perry Co. Historical and Preservation Society, 1991.
Judson College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1992.