| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Carter Hall was constructed in 1895 and is the oldest dormitory on the campus of the only black university in Mecklenburg County. The 15,758 square foot structure was designed to house 150 young men. Carter Hall currently houses 99 students and contains a lounge, recreation area, and living quarters for the housing director.
The Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission has recorded that Carter Hall is "the oldest structure in the city and county which possesses a cupola and circular pavilions. Carter Hall is significant to what was accomplished by a newly-liberated people in an atmosphere that has been described as 'hostile.' This structure was built under trying circumstances and by people who had very meager financial resources. It is the oldest dormitory of the first and only private institution of higher learning open to black people in the immediate and surrounding communities."
Parker, Inez Moore. The Biddle-Johnson C. Smith University Story. Charlotte, NC: Charlotte Publishing, 1975.