Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Rodman Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: John Carroll University
Original/Historic Place Name: Faculty Building (Jesuit residence)
Location on Campus: #13 on campus map
Date(s) of Construction:
1931-1938original construction; April 7, 1931 - September 1938 Small, Philip L.
Designer: Philip L. Small
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick, limestone
Roof: slate, copper
 
Function:
ca. 1938private residence (for the Jesuits)
ca. 2000-present (2006)other (renovated into departmental offices in Sept 2000)
 

Narrative:
The Faculty Building, now Rodman Hall, was part of the original group of buildings constructed for a new university to be located on the east side of Cleveland. The move from the west side was intended to be not just a change of geographical location, but also a matter of providing the location and facilities for an institution that would "develop into a leading Catholic university of the Midwest."
 

References:

Gavin, Donald P. John Carroll University: A Century of Service. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 1985.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006