| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Main Building was part of the original group of buildings constructed for a new university to be
located on the east side of Cleveland. The move from the west side was intended to be not just a
change of geographical location, but also a matter of providing the location and facilities for an
institution that would "develop into a leading Catholic university of the Midwest."
Although construction of the Main Building was suspended in January 1932, completion of the Grasselli Tower in April 1932 still marked an important occasion because it signified that the "dreams of Carroll [were] becoming reality."
Gavin, Donald P. John Carroll University: A Century of Service. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 1985.