Carl S. Swisher Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Carl S. Swisher Foundation once again stepped forward in the spring of 1953 to announce that the Foundation would provide the funds for a library building to be designed by J. Brooks Haas. His design was so outstanding it was selected for inclusion in an exhibit entitled "A Half Century of Architectural Education" held in May 1956, at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Other honors included a tribute in the Jax American, stating that "[u]tility and grace, function and beauty combine so truly that the mind responds immediately to the building." A photograph of the structure was also displayed at the International Trade Fair in Zagreb, Yugoslavia in September 1956. The three-level structure provided shelf space for about 30,000 volumes, as well as a main reading room and additional facilities for student and library staff use. The Library has received two additions since 1956.
Bald, Ralph D. 4 Decades of Growth. Jacksonville, FL: Jacksonville University Office of Public Relations, 1975.
Bald, Ralph D., Jr. A History of Jacksonville University, The First Twenty-Five Years, 1934-1959. Jacksonville, FL: Jacksonville University, 1959.
Hallam, George. Our Place in the Sun, A History of Jacksonville University. Jacksonville, FL: Jacksonville University, 1988.
"History of Jacksonville University. Descriptions of the University--Photographs." [n.d.] Carl S. Swisher Library, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL.
Middleton, Bill. "McGully's Gulch: Where It Began." Florida-Times Union, October 23, 1951.