Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Cochran Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Allegheny College
Original/Historic Place Name: Cochran Hall
Location on Campus: east side of North Main St. (opposite Lord Gate)
Date(s) of Construction:
1907-1908original construction Tilton, Edward L.
Designer: Edward L. Tilton
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival, Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick with light red terra cotta trimmings
Roof: red clay tile
 
Function:
ca. 1908other (radio station)
ca. 1908student union (including YMCA and four bowling alleys)
ca. 1908residence hall (including commons area and social rooms)
ca. 1908dining hall
1955-1972student union (College Union)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (bookstore, post office)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (Office of Development and Alumni Affairs, renovations pending 2004)
ca. 2004-present (2006)alumni center (renovation pending 2004)
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (offices for summer programs)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (English)
 

Narrative:
Cochran Hall was the gift of Sarah B. Cochran, the first woman to become an Allegheny College trustee. The Cochrans earned their money from beehive coke ovens in southwestern Pennsylvania, where they also built their estate known as Linden Hall, now serving as a resort area and the Walter J. Burke Labor Education Center for the United Steelworkers of America. The building was the most costly on campus at the time it was built, a fact still evident in the rich ornamentation of the former entry and dining halls on the main floor. The building was heavily used, first as a commons area for men, then as the College Union from 1955 to 1972, and now to house both academic and service functions that bring most of campus through its doors on a daily basis. The renovations planned to begin in 2004 are intended to bring back some of the building's former magnificence, with special attention paid to the restoration of the finely crafted woodwork and refurbishment of the original fireplaces. Upon completion of this work, Cochran Hall will boast the most elegant spaces on campus.
 

References:

Burt Hill Kosar Rittelmann Associates. Deferred Maintenance and Building Renovation Cost Study [Allegheny College]. Report. [Pittsburgh, PA: Burt Hill Kosar Rittelman Associates], 1999.

Celli Flynn Brennan. Campus Master Plan [Allegheny College]. [Pittsburgh, PA: Celli Flynn Brennan], 2002.

Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates. Allegheny 2000. Master plan. [Belmont, MA: Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates], 1987.

Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates. Heart of the Campus Report [Allegheny College]. [Belmont, MA: Dober, Lidsky, Craig and Associates], 1987.

Helmreich, Jonathan E. Historic Campus Tour. Meadville, PA: Allegheny College, 2001.

Helmreich, Jonathan E. Through All the Years: A Browser's History of Allegheny College [working title for publication celebrating College Bicentennial]. Meadville, PA: Allegheny College, forthcoming.

"Old Allegheny," Allegheny College Bulletin (January 1922).

Rolland/Towers. Campus Master Plan [Allegheny College]. [New Haven, CT: Rolland/Towers], 1992.

Smith, Ernest Ashton. Allegheny College--A Century of Education. Meadville, PA: Tribune Publishing Company, 1916.

Stephens, D. M. Old Allegheny: A Handbook of Information. Meadville, PA: Allegheny College, 1921.

Stotz, Charles M. The Early Architecture of Western Pennsylvania. New York: William Helburn, Inc., for the Buhl Foundation, 1936.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006