Fountain Place (President's House)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The history of Fountain Place begins with its architect, William H. Miller, a Cornell University-trained designer who was nationally known and who made a significant contribution to Ithaca architecture. The building is a fine example of Richardsonian Romanesque, a style at which Miller excelled. The house contains rich detailing that is characteristic of the late Victorian era. It is a local landmark that is beautifully sited on the edge of one of Ithaca's scenic gorges, and although it is not a part of the South Hill campus, it is the oldest remaining, continuously used campus property.
In 1938, the College purchased this building from its original owners and restored it to its present glory. It has been home to five of Ithaca College's presidents, who have entertained countless numbers of faculty, students, and friends of the College.
Harcourt, John B. The Ithaca College Story. Ithaca, NY: Ithaca College, 1983.
Hodne, Scott. The History of Ithaca College. Ithaca, NY: Ithaca College, 1991.
Sasaki Associates Inc. Ithaca College Master Plan Report. [Watertown, MA: Sasaki Associates Inc.], 2002.