| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Gillett House was built in 1832 and provided temporary sanctuary for freedom-seeking slaves on the Underground Railroad. It is named for its original owner, Bezaleel Gillett, a physician and merchant who helped found Trinity Church in Jacksonville, the first Episcopal church in Illinois. The structure was converted into a Bed and Breakfast in 2001 and was acquired by Illinois College in 2004. Preliminary plans call for Gillett House to be used as a focal point for study of the Underground Railroad and research on local history.
Caine, L. Vernon. To Heights Beyond. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1986.
Frank, Charles E. Pioneer's Progress: Illinois College, 1829-1979. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1979.
Hopper, Doris Broehl. David A. Smith: Abolitionist, Patron of Learning, Prairie Lawyer. Jacksonville, IL: Branstiter Printing Company, 2003
Rammelkamp, Charles H. Illinois College, a Centennial History: 1829-1929. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1928.
Yeager, Iver F. Julian M. Sturtevant--1805-1886: President of Illinois College, Ardent Churchman, Reflective Author. Jacksonville, IL: Trustees of Illinois College, 1999.
Yeager, Iver F., ed. Sesquicentennial Papers--Illinois College. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1982.