David A. Smith House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The David A. Smith House is owned by the Women's Building Association of Illinois College and maintained by the college. It was built in 1854 by David A. Smith, a pioneer lawyer and colleague of Abraham Lincoln who was active in the anti-slavery movement. The 16-room residence provides meeting space for the women's literary societies at Illinois College. It is also a popular destination for tourists and research scholars interested in studying the 1850s and 1860s in central Illinois.
Caine, L. Vernon. To Heights Beyond. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1986.
Frank, Charles E. Pioneer's Progress: Illinois College, 1829-1979. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1979.
Hopper, Doris Broehl. David A. Smith: Abolitionist, Patron of Learning, Prairie Lawyer. Jacksonville, IL: Branstiter Printing Company, 2003
Rammelkamp, Charles H. Illinois College, a Centennial History: 1829-1929. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1928.
Yeager, Iver F. Julian M. Sturtevant--1805-1886: President of Illinois College, Ardent Churchman, Reflective Author. Jacksonville, IL: Trustees of Illinois College, 1999.
Yeager, Iver F., ed. Sesquicentennial Papers--Illinois College. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1982.