Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Houghton Memorial Library

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Huntingdon College
Original/Historic Place Name: Houghton Memorial Library
Location on Campus: 1500 E. Fairview Ave.
Date(s) of Construction:
1929original construction Lockwood, Frank
1989construction information unknown
Designer: Frank Lockwood (Montgomery, AL)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick with concrete watertable
Walls: Oxford rugby brick
Roof:
 
Function:
1929-present (2006)library
 

Narrative:
The library was built as a memorial to Mitchell Bennett Houghton (1844-1925), one of the founders of the Women's College of Alabama. His heirs donated $70,000 to Huntingdon College in 1929 for the construction of a library that was to be named after Houghton. The building was completed and occupied by May 1st, 1930.
 

References:

Ellison, Rhoda Coleman. History of Huntingdon College: 1854-1954. Birmingham, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1954.

Enzweiler, Susan, and Trina Binkley. Huntingdon College Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2000.

Memorandum to Melanie Betz from Anne Henderson, November 30, 1992. Montgomery, AL: Alabama Historical Commission.

Olmsted, Frederick Law, Jr. Report on Methodist College for Women, Montgomery, Ala. [Brookline, MA: Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architects], 1908.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006