| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built by early pioneers of the county as a dwelling, this building, after being remodeled, served as the first school building erected for that purpose in Brown County. It was also used as a community gathering place. The building is situated on a parcel of land given to Presbyterians as a site for the construction of Daniel Baker College. After 1892, the two-story building was used as a science hall with the 2nd floor serving as a men's dorm. A wing was added in 1921 to house the college president. A fire destroyed the 2nd floor in 1932.
Following the merger of the two schools in 1953, the building was used as a college band hall in the 1960s, and it served in the 1980s as a storage facility for the HPU theater department. Considered unsafe and unstable, the building stands vacant today.
The Link: Alumni Magazine. Howard Payne University, Brownwood, TX.
The Yellow Jacket, [n.d.]. Howard Payne University, Brownwood, TX.