L. J. Mims Auditorium
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Auditorium and Fine Arts Building, as it was originally known, was designed by the college president, Dr. L. J. Mims, as a combination building to function as a chapel/auditorium and to provide office space for the president and business office and studio space for the fine arts department. Opened in 1922, it is the oldest extant building on the main campus and continues to serve as the chapel/auditorium to the present day. It originally seated over 1000 and today seats 700; it has been refurnished several times. In the 1950s the president's office and business office were moved to other locations. When the Davidson Music Complex was completed in 1998, the music faculty offices and studios were moved from the building as well.