Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Completed in 1890, the Daniel Baker College Administration Building was three stories high and comprised not only administrative offices but also faculty offices and classroom space. (These overcrowded conditions were eventually alleviated with the construction of additional buildings.) DBC merged with Howard Payne in 1953, and from that time until the early 1960s the building was used for storage and for additional classroom space. In 1962, the Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom Honors Program was established, and the decision was made to house the program in the DBC building. After extensive renovation and the addition of two classroom wings to the sides of the building, the facility was dedicated in October, 1969.
Today the building houses classrooms and offices used by the history and political science faculty for both the honors program and regular undergraduate programs. In addition, several environmental learning classrooms tracing humanity's quest for freedom where constructed during the remodeling. These include a replica of Philadelphia's Independence Hall, an old English meeting hall, and a larger auditorium. A library supporting the honors program is located in the building as well.