Dow Health and Physical Education Center
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Dow Health and Physical Education Center was designed by the Alden B. Dow architectural firm. Major support for the building was received from the Dow Foundation of Midland, Michigan, and it was named to honor Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow. The building was dedicated in 1978.
Architecturally, the building's varied shapes render visible the diverse functions it serves. It stresses mass and geometric volumes, features that help to anchor the campus to the south. Its style is an interesting contrast to the razed Carnegie-Schouten Gymnasium, which was built in a simplified Neoclassical style.
Bruins, Elton J., and Larry J. Wagenaar. Campus Alive: A Walking Tour of Hope College. Holland, MI: Hope College, 1999.
Stegenga, Preston J. Anchor of Hope: The History of an American Denominational Institution, Hope College. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1954.
Wichers, Wynand. A Century of Hope: 1866-1966. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1966.