Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Pine Grove

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Hope College
Original/Historic Place Name: Pine Grove
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
n.d.natural landscape
Designer:
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, history, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
ca. 2004-present (2006)outdoor space (for student gatherings, music concerts, prayer meetings, personal study and meditation)
 

Narrative:
This grove of trees is descended from the great white pine forests that once covered western Michigan. In its present state it is relatively small in scale, but central nonetheless to the college's cultural life. This has been true throughout most of Hope College's existence.

As a commons in the heart of the campus, the Pine Grove provides visual and spatial unity, especially to the buildings adjoining it: Van Vleck Hall, Graves Hall, Voorhees Hall, Dimnent Chapel, and others. The grove's social and cultural importance is evident in the role it plays as a site for social protests, such as anti-war protests and airing gender issues; for group activities, such as prayer meetings, art exhibitions, festivals, musical concerts, and classes; and for personal study and contemplation. The Pine Grove evokes strong emotional attachment, with the result that students jealously guard it against encroachment.
 

References:

Bruins, Elton J., and Larry J. Wagenaar. Campus Alive: A Walking Tour of Hope College. Holland, MI: Hope College, 1999.

Stegenga, Preston J. Anchor of Hope: The History of an American Denominational Institution, Hope College. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1954.

Wichers, Wynand. A Century of Hope: 1866-1966. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1966.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006