| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Durfee House was originally a land speculator's office. The house was moved in 1831 to its present site and enlarged by President Benjamin Hale in 1844 for use as his residence, and it was occupied by subsequent presidents until 1885. It is the earliest connection to Geneva on campus and is considered to be the earliest standing frame building west of Rome, New York. It later became the home of William Pitt Durfee, first Dean of Hobart and professor of mathematics from 1884-1929. Both W.P. Durfee and his son W. H. Durfee served as interim presidents during their long tenures at the College.
Smith, Warren Hunting. Hobart and William Smith: The History of Two Colleges. Geneva, NY: Hobart and illiam Smith Colleges, 1972.