Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Trinity Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Original/Historic Place Name: Trinity Hall
Location on Campus: 660 S. Main St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1837original construction Hale, Benjamin
1964remodeled
Designer: Benjamin Hale
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival, Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls:
Roof: white EPDM
 
Function:
1837-1964library
1837-1964residence hall
1964-present (2006)classrooms
1964-present (2006)faculty offices
 

Narrative:
Hobart President Benjamin Hale was the architect of Trinity Hall, and Trinity Corporation of the Episcopalian Church the major contributor (about $7,000). It was built as a replica of Geneva Hall and, with the exception of a library on the third floor, was originally designed as a dormitory. In 1876 it was refitted and supplied with modern conveniences--gas, steam, etc.--and it was remodeled in 1964 for use as faculty offices and classrooms.
 

References:

Campus Master Plan. Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY.

Causey, Beverley E., Jr. Geneva Hall and Trinity Hall, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.

Schuyler, Montgomery. "The Architecture of American Colleges: IX. Union, Hamilton, Hobart, Cornell and Syracuse." Architectural Record 30 (December 1911): 549-73.

Smith, Warren Hunting. Hobart and William Smith: The History of Two Colleges. Geneva, NY: Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 1972.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006