Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Geneva Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Original/Historic Place Name: Geneva Hall
Location on Campus: 648 South Main St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1821-1822original construction Judd, Levi Huddleston, John
1969remodeled
Designer: Levi Judd; John Huddleston
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival, Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls:
Roof: metal
 
Function:
ca. 1822other (offices)
ca. 1822chapel
ca. 1822library
1882-present (2006)residence hall
 

Narrative:
The building was named to honor the citizens of Geneva, who were largely responsible for financing its construction. It originally housed the chapel, library, student rooms, and offices and is the oldest standing academic building in Western New York. It was remodeled in 1969 and replastered and repainted in 1981.
 

References:

Campus Master Plan. Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY.

Causey, Beverley E., Jr. Geneva Hall and Trinity Hall, Hobart and William Smith Colleges. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.

Schuyler, Montgomery. "The Architecture of American Colleges: IX. Union, Hamilton, Hobart, Cornell and Syracuse." Architectural Record 30 (December 1911): 549-73.

Smith, Warren Hunting. Hobart and William Smith: The History of Two Colleges. Geneva, NY: Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 1972.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006