Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Arthur B. Pfleiderer Center for Religion and Humanities

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Heidelberg College
Original/Historic Place Name: Library
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
1911-1912original construction Patton & Miller
1970renovation
Designer: Patton & Miller (Chicago)
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: rock faced ashlar
Walls: brick, stone facing
Roof: terra cotta tile
 
Function:
1912-1967library
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (religion and humanities)
 

Narrative:
The Pfleiderer building was originally built as a library with $ 25,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie's grant was unusual since he had already funded a library in Tiffin and rarely provided two libraries in the same town. He was persuaded to offer the grant by Dr. John H. Prugh, a Heidelberg alumnus who raised a matching $ 25,000. The building remained Heidelberg's campus library until the construction of the new Beeghly Library in 1967. It is presently used as an academic building housing religion and humanities departments. The structure contains a rare book vault. It was the Fine Arts Building until 1970, when a gift by Dorothy Painter Pfleiderer, Class of 1922, made it possible to renovate the building as a center for religion and the humanities. It was renamed for her husband, Arthur B. Pfleiderer, Class of 1920, who was a trustee of the college from 1953-1969. The departments of religion, philosophy, and American Studies are housed here, along with some offices for German and English. Herbster Chapel is also located here (these departments are listed in the 1979 National Register report).

The front steps bear a memorial to Dr. Susan Reed, a popular, young faculty member from the mid 1990s who met with many students as she smoked on the steps. Dr. Reed was a campus fixture at the Pfleiderer steps until she died suddenly from cancer. The students and faculty contributed to her memorial.

Pfleiderer, Laird, and France Halls represent a third, early 20th century expansion of the Heidelberg Campus. The gothic style, grey stone facades and tile roofs are characteristic of these and several other building built on campus during the first quarter of the 20th Century.
 

References:

Tarr, Blair, and Barbara Howe. Pfleiderer Center for Religion and the Humanities [Heidelberg College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979.

Williams, E. I. F. Heidelberg: Democratic Christian College, 1850-1950. Menasha, WI: George Banta Publishing Company, 1952.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006