Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
College Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Heidelberg College
Original/Historic Place Name: University Hall
Location on Campus: 310 E. Market St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1884-1886original construction Peters & Burns
Designer: Peters & Burns
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival, Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: rock faced ashlar
Walls: brick bearing wall
Roof: slate
 
Function:
1886-present (2006)classrooms
1886-present (2006)chapel (Rickly Chapel)
1886-present (2006)faculty offices
1886-present (2006)administration (offices of the president and vice presidents)
1886-present (2006)Greek letter society (meeting space)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (college archives)
 

Narrative:
College Hall has served as Heidelberg's main administration building since its construction. Although there have been interior renovations, the original configuration remains intact. It presently houses the Heidelberg Greek organizations, as well as faculty offices, classrooms, and the college archives.

College Hall and the Honor's Center represent the first expansion of the Heidelberg Campus beyond a single building. President (1868-1890) George W. Williard brought the college out of post-Civil War financial problems, expanded the campus, and built College Hall as the new main campus building. Williard also constructed a new President's home.

College Hall also contains Rickly Chapel, named for S.S. Rickly, a founder and member of the first faculty. The chapel has stained glass windows and a tower bell that originally hung in the second Seneca County Court House, which stood in Court House Square downtown. The building and its distinctive tower are part of Heidelberg's identity and are a main identifier of the College. College Hall was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
 

References:

Tarr, Blair, and Barbara Howe. College Hall, Heidelberg College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1979.

Williams, E. I. F. Heidelberg: Democratic Christian College, 1850-1950. Menasha, WI: George Banta Publishing Company, 1952.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006