Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Founders Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Heidelberg College
Original/Historic Place Name: Old Heidelberg
Location on Campus: E. Perry St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1851-1858original construction Good, Jeremiah H.
1929-1930renovation
1974-1975renovation
Designer: Jeremiah H. Good
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: ashlar stone
Walls: brick bearing wall
Roof: asbestos slate
 
Function:
ca. 1858old main
1858-1974residence hall
ca. 2004-present (2006)theater (Little Theater)
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
 

Narrative:
Founders Hall was the first building built for the Heidelberg College Campus. It was designed by one of the College's founders and original faculty, Jeremiah H. Good. The building represented the only campus academic and student residence structure until the construction of adjacent College Hall (1884-86). It was then renamed Old Heidelberg and was used as a residence hall. Renamed Founders Hall in 1930 in honor of the college founders, the building remains an important visual identifier of the Heidelberg College campus.

The building has gone through several renovations but retains its original style. The building was initially renovated in 1929-1930 and then again in 1974-1975, at which time it was converted from a residence hall into the home of the Speech and Theatre Arts department.

Presently, Founders Hall contains classrooms, faculty offices, and Heidelberg's Little Theater. The main theater, Gundlach, is attached to the rear of the original structure by an enclosed walkway. The building was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
 

References:

Dober, Richard P. Campus Heritage. Ann Arbor, MI: Society for College and University Planning, 2005.

Ohio Historical Society. Founders Hall, Heidelberg College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.

Johannesen, Eric. Ohio College Architecture Before 1870. Columbus, OH: Ohio Historical Society, 1969.

Williams, E. I. F. Heidelberg: Democratic Christian College, 1850-1950. Menasha, WI: George Banta Publishing Company, 1952.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006