| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Woodside Cottage is the only surviving building on campus that predates the College. It was built in the early decades of the nineteenth century as the farmer's house for the property. After the construction of 6 College Circle as a farmhouse, then-Professor Thomas Chase rented the cottage.
A library addition was added in the 1880s. In 1889 it was converted to use as a student dormitory. It currently houses the English department.
Woodside Cottage is symbolic of the College's early efforts to connect agriculture to the academic world, stressing the equal importance of both.
George E. Thomas Associates, Inc. Haverford College Historic Resources Campus Survey. Philadelphia: George E. Thomas Associates, 1999.