Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Hampden House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Hampden-Sydney College
Original/Historic Place Name: Holladay House
Location on Campus: College Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1858original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Federal (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: tin, metal
 
Function:
1858-1958private residence (house for college physician then his son)
ca. 1958other (boarding house)
ca. 2004-present (2006)alumni center (and college guest home)
 

Narrative:
Hampden House is a simple functional building with, for example, very plain interior mouldings. One interesting decorative element is the front façade, which includes courses of decorative Flemish bond. The sides were laid in common bond as well, although 100 years after Flemish bond went out of style in Williamsburg and other urban areas.

Hampden House served as the home of two beloved college physicians for over six decades, and as the last boarding house on campus, run by the famous Miss Minnie Lacy.
 

References:

Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.

Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006