| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Atkinson Hall (then called Westminster Hall) was originally used as a seminary faculty house. A third story was added to the original two around 1860, and it was afterwards used as a boarding house. After purchase by the college, it was used as an infirmary and for administration. It currently houses the offices of the president, dean of faculty, registrar, college events, and institutional research.
The basic building is unchanged. The interior was remodeled in 1994 and the addition (President's Office) was added ca. 1950. The Victorian porch was removed ca. 1945, and the neo-colonial door surrounds added. Atkinson Hall is significant as an auxiliary campus building that has seen many uses as the needs of the institution have changed. An early campus lighting fixture survives on the chimney.
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.