| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Estcourt was built in 1830 as a 2 over 2 with side hall. It was doubled ca. 1870, and the kitchen addition was built ca. 1900. It was remodeled into an office in 1990. The exterior is nearly original. It is memorable for the associations with the Seminary founder. Mrs. Rice was an early abolitionist and freed all her slaves.
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Virginia. Charleston, SC: Babcock & Company, 1845.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.