| Click on image titles for larger views. |
The Birthplace (originally attached to Slate Hill plantation house, ca. 1929), Hampden-Sydney College (PDF)
This was the site of the first planning sessions (in February 1775) that led to the foundation, location, and establishment of Hampden-Sydney College. The building was moved from its original location ca. 1890 and was connected to the main house at Slate Hill Plantation, which had been "Victorianized." It was moved to the Hampden-Sydney campus in 1942 because of its historic connections with the college. The building was restored in 2000 (the inaccurate 1942 fittings were removed, the whole building was raised, new appropriate chimney was put on, etc).
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Virginia. Charleston, SC: Babcock & Company, 1845.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.