| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Middlecourt was built with funds raised by Presbyterians and Congregationalists. They may have influenced the design, since it is more like a New England house than a Virginian one. It was restored in 1977, and the coeval kitchen quarters were restored as a guest cottage in 1981. It has been described by Virginia Landmark historians as "a significant outbuilding survival."
It was built as a home for professors at the Seminary. When the Seminary moved to Richmond in 1895, the campus was bought by Major Richard Venable and given to the College. It became a professor's house, and in 1939 it became the president's house.
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.