| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
When it was completed in 1830, Venable Hall provided the first seminary in the South and eventually became the head institution of the Southern Presbyterian Church. The exterior was restored in 1985 and the interior modernized. It was built in three stages over six years. The significant cupola, modeled on classic forms, was hidden for nearly a century under fishtale tin shingles.
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Virginia. Charleston, SC: Babcock & Company, 1845.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.