Crandall Barn Montessori School
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Originally a carriage barn, Crandall Barn became University property in 1928. It was connected with the president's house at first and was then used as the School for American Craftsmen from 1946 to 1950. The School centered on crafts such as design, pottery, weaving, metalsmithing, and wrought ironworks. In 1951, the school was relocated to the Rochester Institute for Technology in Rochester, NY. The building was then used by the ceramic design department for pottery classes and studios (1950-1952). After that the drama department used it as an area for performing arts storage, and it was renovated in 1986 for a technical and scenery building storage area. In the early 1990s it was leased to and completely renovated for use by the local Montessori school, whose classes began there in the fall of 2001. The Crandall Barn is part of the Alfred Village's Historic District listed on the National Register in 1985.
Horowitz, Gary, ed. A Sesquicentennial History of Alfred University: Essays in Change. Alfred, NY: Alfred University, 1985.
"New York State Historic Preservation Building-Structure Inventory Form," (n.d.) Herrick Memorial Library Archives, Alfred University.
Norwood, John Nelson. Fiat Lux: The Story of Alfred University. Alfred, NY: Alfred University, 1957.
Strong, Susan Rumsey. The Most Natural Way in the World: Coeducation at Nineteenth Century Alfred University. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Rochester, 1995.