Graham Hall (front portion)
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Graham Hall was originally the house of Jonathan Cushing, "second founder" of the college, who established the modern curriculum. Its kitchen building (now gone) was the birthplace of Union Theological Seminary.
Graham was originally used as a home for the college president. In 1916 a wing was built as the college's first purpose-built gymnasium, and it has also served as the alumni office and as a dormitory. It currently houses the college's admissions office, post office, and bookstore. The porch was built in 1978, and the interior has been remodeled.
Brinkley, John L. On This Hill: A Narrative History of Hampden-Sydney College. Hampden-Sydney, VA: Hampden-Sydney College, 1994.
Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. Hampden-Sydney College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1970.