| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The oldest surviving building on campus, Archdale Hall was built from bricks salvaged from the burned King Hall (1877-1884). The building was named for John Archdale, Quaker Governor of Carolina from 1694-1696. Extensive renovations were done in 1927 that added entrance porches, a central stairway, and indoor plumbing. The building served as a men's dormitory (except for a brief time during World War II when it housed women) from 1888-1965. It has been used for faculty offices since that time.
Appenzeller, Herb. Pride in the Past: Guilford Athletics, 1837-1987. Greensboro, NC: Quaker Club, Guilford College, 1987.
Godwin, Gayle H. et al. Girls Are of Infinite Importance: Life in Mary Hobbs Hall at Guilford College. Greensboro, NC: Fisher-Harrison, 1977.
Guilford College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.
"Guilford College Proposal for Campus Heritage Initiative, The Getty Foundation." [Guilford, NC: Guilford College], 2003.
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Guilford College Historic District (Boundary Decrease). National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2001.
Stoesen, Alexander R. Guilford College on the Strength of 150 Years. Greensboro, NC: Board of Trustees, Guilford College, 1987.
Thorne, Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert. Guilford: A Quaker College. Greensboro, NC: J. J. Stone and Company, 1937.