New Garden Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Originally built as the meetinghouse for New Garden Friends in 1912, the structure functioned as a place of worship until 1961. The building also housed the annual sessions of North Carolina Yearly Meeting during those years. Eleanor Roosevelt spoke to a racially integrated audience at an event hosted by New Garden Meeting in 1955. The interior of the building was rebuilt during the 1960s to house the college administrative offices.
Appenzeller, Herb. Pride in the Past: Guilford Athletics, 1837-1987. Greensboro, NC: Quaker Club, Guilford College, 1987.
Godwin, Gayle H. et al. Girls Are of Infinite Importance: Life in Mary Hobbs Hall at Guilford College. Greensboro, NC: Fisher-Harrison, 1977.
Guilford College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.
"Guilford College Proposal for Campus Heritage Initiative, The Getty Foundation." [Guilford, NC: Guilford College], 2003.
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Guilford College Historic District (Boundary Decrease). National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2001.
Stoesen, Alexander R. Guilford College on the Strength of 150 Years. Greensboro, NC: Board of Trustees, Guilford College, 1987.
Thorne, Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert. Guilford: A Quaker College. Greensboro, NC: J. J. Stone and Company, 1937.