| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The 1909 section of the building was constructed as a Carnegie Library and is still used today as the current periodicals reading room. The reading room features arched windows with arches and niches in the plaster walls. Renovations have maintained the original features of the room, and a major addition in 1990 repeats the features of the arched windows on the west-facing wall. The original building overlooks the main campus quadrangle so later modifications do not affect the visual or historic feel of the central campus. The original east entrance has a Doric portico flanked by the arched windows.
Appenzeller, Herb. Pride in the Past: Guilford Athletics, 1837-1987. Greensboro, NC: Quaker Club, Guilford College, 1987.
Godwin, Gayle H. et al. Girls Are of Infinite Importance: Life in Mary Hobbs Hall at Guilford College. Greensboro, NC: Fisher-Harrison, 1977.
Guilford College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.
"Guilford College Proposal for Campus Heritage Initiative, The Getty Foundation." [Guilford, NC: Guilford College], 2003.
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Guilford College Historic District (Boundary Decrease). National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 2001.
Stoesen, Alexander R. Guilford College on the Strength of 150 Years. Greensboro, NC: Board of Trustees, Guilford College, 1987.
Thorne, Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert. Guilford: A Quaker College. Greensboro, NC: J. J. Stone and Company, 1937.