Grace Sandefer Compere Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Grace Sandefer Compere Hall was the residence of the university president and his family starting with Dr. and Mrs. J. D. Sandefer, who moved into the new building on December 24, 1924 and lived there until Dr. Sandefer's death in 1940. Presidents White, Richardson, Reiff, Landes, and Skiles all lived in the building.
The first of many weddings to take place in the home was that of J. D. Sandefer's daughter, Grace, who married Truett Compere there. The building is named in her honor. The president's residence at the main entrance to campus was a major focal point for social activities for students, faculty, and faculty spouses. Mrs. R.N. Richardson held French classes in the residence after the main classroom building, Abilene Hall, burned in 1947.
In 1971, a new residence was built on the east side of campus, at which time the original home was renamed for Grace Compere. Over the years, Compere has housed the Development Office, the Abilene Baptist Association, the Division of Religion and Philosophy, News and Information, Campus Security, University Relations, and Alumni Relations.
Hardin-Simmons University Facilities Master Plan. [n.d.] Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, TX.
Richardson, Rupert N. Famous Are Thy Halls. Abilene, TX: Abilene Printing & Stationary Company, 1976.
Stackhouse, Yvonne. Hardin-Simmons University, a Centennial History. Abilene, TX: Hardin-Simmons University, 1991.