| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The original Abilene Hall was built at Hardin-Simmons University (originally Hardin-Simmons College) in 1913. It was the main classroom and auditorium space on campus. The founders and townspeople donated building funds to demonstrate hometown support for the school.
When the building burnt to the ground in 1947, the university trustees, friends, and townspeople immediately raised funds a second time to rebuild the site, which had provided 40% of the classroom space. The new Abilene Hall was completed in 1948 by the Rose Construction Company and was again named Abilene Hall in honor of the local support of the university.
The building windows were eventually reduced in number to make it easier to heat and cool, and an elevator was added to the building in the 1980s.
Hardin-Simmons University Facilities Master Plan. [n.d.] Hardin-Simmons University, Abilene, TX.
Richardson, Rupert N. Famous Are Thy Halls. Abilene, TX: Abilene Printing & Stationary Company, 1976.
Stackhouse, Yvonne. Hardin-Simmons University, a Centennial History. Abilene, TX: Hardin-Simmons University, 1991.