Residential historic block
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The significance of these homes to campus history is their relationship to Adolphe Breuchaud. Breuchaud was born in Switzerland in 1833 and attended schools there and in Germany before coming to America with his parents. Here he learned carpentry, bricklaying, and plastering and became a master contractor and builder. His success in his profession eventually led him to a successful career as a carpenter and builder in which he employed 10 workmen, and for fourteen years he built houses in Greenville, later marrying Rosalie Giron.
Adolphe and his father-in-law Paul worked on the building of Almira College. As payment for their work, they were given land near the college property (the land along College Avenue on which the historic homes are situated).
Paul Giron, with the assistance of Adolphe, built this house on the corner lot (now College and Elm Streets). Paul subsequently lived here, and the two men built a duplex house next door to be used for rental property. Adolphe built his own house on north Spruce (where Burritt Hall was later built), where he and Rosalie had six children. Adolphe added on to his house, and several years later Paul Giron moved up to live with Adolphe and his family. Adolphe's sons John and Henry occupied the Giron house at different times.
Wilson, Kathryn Eleanor. Tales, Trails & Breadcrumbs, 1838-1938, One-Hundred Years, Bond County, Illinois. Greenville, IL: Naco Printing, 1993.